Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pretzel Bites - Take 2

I can tell it's close to the start of school.

The attitude of my oldest has gotten worse exponentially.  If this is what I'm getting at 7, I hate to see what she's like at 14...and 16...and...yeah, you get the picture.

Needless to say, the days have been rough around here.  I've got my foot planted on her backside and am ready to shove her out the door...I just need those darn school doors to open!

To beat the attitude, I thought, why not cook with the kids.  We could make something to take to their teachers for Back to School night tomorrow night.

I decided to go with an old faithful.  Chocolate Pretzel Bites.  You can't go wrong with chocolate and pretzels, plus this is super-duper easy for the kids to help with.

Last time we made them, I let Maddie pick the Hershey's Kisses and she went with the hugs.  If I had really been thinking (well, thinking of things other than how to get her in school ASAP), I would have stuck with the hugs.  They would have looked like white tiger stripes when melted (the school mascot), but we chose the cookies and cream Kisses instead...they still kind of go with the whole mascot thing.  And with a blue M&M on top and wrapped in cute little treat bags, they look very Caldwell Elementary festive. 



Now, I also decided to grab a bag of the caramel Kisses and some Reese's Pieces.  I absolutely love caramel and chocolate and peanut butter....reminds me of a Take 5.  This is how I had wanted to make them the first time, but I wasn't able to find the caramel Kisses, but today I scored them.

Now you know how when you are really excited about something...and how you picture the end result in your head...and it's perfect and beautiful and awesome and all those fantastic words?  Well, that's where I was as I spread a bazillion pretzels on the cookie sheet to make this batch of pretzel bites.

And then the perfectness all came crashing down.

After 2 minutes, the Kisses were not melted.  After another 2, barely melted.  Another minute and the very tippy top was melted, so I went for one more minute and then pulled the sheet out.  I mean, how can chocolate not be melted after 6 minutes?  Well, when you are a Hershey's Caramel Kiss, I guess this is possible.  I'm not sure what they do to make these things...or what they are even made out of, but the darn things were barely melted, so when I went to press the Reese's Pieces into the tops, the didn't squish down all ooey gooey like they should have...they kind of cracked and flopped and pretty much ended up looking like crap.

I should have known it wasn't going to work out my picture-perfect way....the attitude issues and rough day all around should have been my clue.

But I'm here to tell you, if you ever want to try making pretzel bites, just stay away from the caramel ones...it's really not worth the time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment