Tuesday, June 28, 2011

4th of July Cake Pops



First off, I just have to say that the person who invented the cake ball is just pure genius.  I love that I can use all my "leftovers" to whip up such an amazing dessert in such a perfect, bit-sized package.  For this attempt, I used scraps of my red, white and blue cake mixed with strawberry and vanilla icing leftover from Maddie's birthday.  They are dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with Wilton's Patriotic Mix.

As a funny aside, I was having trouble locating a red, white and blue sprinkle mix.  I did find a red and white mixture from Wilton but what are patriotic cake balls without blue sprinkles?!  So I decided to improvise...I had a large container of mixed sprinkles and I spent the last 2 days (with a little help from the kids) sorting through it to get out all of the blue sprinkles.  This afternoon, before I assembled the cake balls, I made a quick trip to HEB to get some things I forgot on yesterday's trip, and of course this is when I found the container of patriotic sprinkles....go figure!

Anyway, I'm am slowly learning how to make the perfect cake ball, but I have to admit that dipping those darn things is a lot harder than it looks...at least if you are going for perfection.  I decided to go the cake pop route because I thought this would make them easier to dip.  My guess is it is, but I think I might have used a little too much icing, because the batter was a little on the moist side, the balls didn't firm up as much as I would have liked them to and they kept slipping off the sticks.  Still, I managed to only completely destroy four out of the entire bunch and ended up with half-way decent looking cake balls.  Maybe I just need to sign up for a cake ball class so someone can show me how simple it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment