Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Peach Raspberry Crumble


Don't you just love it when you take the kids grocery shopping with you and they beg and plead and annoy until you buy them whatever the thing is that they just have to have or the world will come crashing down?  Well, I dealt with that a couple of weeks ago when my kids were begging and pleading for peaches.  I know...I shouldn't complain because they are asking for something healthy instead of the usual crap like candy or sugared cereal.  But this time they begged me to buy peaches, and then, because they had to help, I ended up with a large bagful of peaches instead of the 3 or 4 I would have chosen to buy.  And of course, you know the drill.  They get home, each eat one, and then never revisit the peaches and there they sit in the refrigerator, sad and neglected until they start to wrinkle and wither and now there's no way on God's green Earth either of my kids will ever touch one because now they look yucky.

Today I found 4 such peaches in my fruit drawer.  I am so frugal and I just can't stand wasting things, so I decided I had to find a way to salvage these things.  I figured the easiest thing to do would be make some sort of cobbler-y, crumbly dessert so I did a quick search and found a base recipe from which to start.  With the addition of some raspberries (which is the kids' fruit of the week this week) and a few tweaks to the crust, I whipped up individual crumble desserts for everyone in the family.  And might I say, they were divine, especially when topped with vanilla ice cream that melted from the heat of the crumbly goodness!  So what are you waiting for...go whip up a batch tonight!


Peach Raspberry Crumble
Ingredients for Filling
1 pint fresh raspberries
4 fresh peaches, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup white sugar
1 pinch cinnamon
1 Tbsp flour

Ingredients for Topping
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 pinches salt
2 pinches cinnamon

Directions
 1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
 2.  In a bowl, mix the raspberries, chopped peaches, lemon juice, white sugar, cinnamon and flour. 
 3.  In a separate bowl, mix the oats, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. 
 4.  Fill four ramekin dishes (or other small, oven-safe dishes) with equal amounts of the raspberry and peach mixture, and top with equal amounts of the oats mixture. Arrange the ramekins on a baking sheet. 
 5.  Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until crisp and golden brown. 
 6.  Cool 10 minutes, then top with vanilla ice cream and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment