Monday, July 4, 2011

4thof July Cookies


So I've been meaning to try making a batch of chocolate sugar cookies.  I've never tasted one (I know!) but I figured they can't be bad...I mean they have chocolate in them for goodness sakes!  But as the Fourth crept nearer, I figured I'd have to put them on the back burner.  In my head, it just didn't make sense to make 4th of July cookies using chocolate dough.  But then the chocolate craving started to elbow it's way in and the next thing you know, I'm online, searching through my extensive list of cookie blogs to find the  recipe for chocolate sugar cookies....and of course I couldn't for the life of me remember which blog I found it on.  I finally came across this entry:  The End-All Chocolate Cookie Recipe over at LilaLoa.  I know it wasn't the one I was looking for but a) it was a chocolate cookie recipe, and b) she touted it as the best one ever...the one all the cool kids are doing.  Made me laugh I guess because her enthusiasm reminded me of me.  No need to search any further...this would be the one I tried.  The dough was amazingly easy to make, even easier to work with and with only a 6 minute cook time, I think I might just have to make chocolate sugar cookies all the time!

As for what shapes to cut out, that was a toughie...I have seen SO many different 4th of July cookies this past week out in blog land.  I settled for using my flag cutter (that I bought for another occasion and never got the chance to use), a scalloped round and a small star.

It's funny how the end cookie result isn't always what I pictured in the beginning.  I'm sure a lot of that has to do with procrastinating and then being rushed to finish the cookies.  Of course, this was the case again.  My flags came out okay, but if I had had more time, I would have done them differently and I think they would have looked better.  Still, I can't complain...they don't look that bad.  As for the scalloped rounds, those I envisioned as being fire works.  In the past several days, I saw numerous references to the Martha Steward "firework" cookies that are on the front of this month's Martha Stewart Living, so I figured I'd have to give those a try.  They were pretty easy to make and turned out very nice, but I think I like my version of a firework better.  They look less like a flower and more like what you would seeing bursting in the sky...if you didn't live in Texas where it is drier than the desert and has resulted in the cancellation of all fireworks.  We'll just have to settle for cookies.


As for all the stars I had to decorate, let me start by saying I'm not sure what I was thinking when I cut them all out.  Staring at the pile of undecorated cookies, I started to dread the daunting task before me.  But in the end, it was the stars I enjoyed decorating the best.  I'm not sure which style I like the best, but I like how they look with the tiny hearts on them...especially the ones with the tiny burst of hearts in the middle...again, they kind of remind me of fireworks.


Overall, I'd have to say I am VERY pleased with how my cookies turned out.  I cannot wait for the next holiday...bring on the start of school!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment