Sunday, July 10, 2011

Baked Blueberry Donuts

After seeing several people post about the greatness of the Wilton Donut Pan, I figured I had to give it a try.  The kids are so obsessed with donuts that they ask for them pretty much every weekend.  If I could get them to buy into this healthier, baked version, then I don't think I'd mind as much if they had them for breakfast.

Jeremy actually made the first go at it last weekend.  He followed the recipe that came with the pan (and even had to make his own buttermilk because I forgot to buy some).  His creation was a basic baked donut with a rich, chocolate glaze.  The verdict:  Lizzie thought they were out of this world.  Maddie, on the other hand, told him she'd stick to the unhealthy version.

There was some batter leftover from his attempt, so this morning I pulled it out of the fridge and decided to see if I could doctor it up and win Maddie's approval.  I added a bunch of fresh blueberries and coated them in a basic white glaze.  I'm not sure if it had to do with the batter being a week old or coming straight from the refrigerator, but the donuts didn't rise as well as they did last week, but the results weren't half bad.  To me, they tasted like glazed blueberry muffins.  Again, Lizzie gave them 2 thumbs up (but then again, when does she not?) and Maddie...yeah, she took two bites (the second one was forced upon her by me) and turned up her nose at them.  I am determined that I will get this child to like the baked donut...and I still have some different recipes up my sleeve.  Don't count me out yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment